Tuesday, January 19, 2016

NOWCAST Part I of II

Let's see if System #1 is as spunky as advertised...or will the dreaded dry air eat away at this thing for many of us? Will sleet enter the picture down south, altering snow totals a bit? Stay tuned....

Updates start here....Probably after 4:00 a.m.

4:15am

Snow-covered roads on my way home from the Louisville Int'l airport. Average speed traditionally 35-65 mph, well, the drive averaged this time around 25-35 mph.
At my house in Valley Station, snow has accumulated 1.5".

Need to get caught up on amounts elsewhere....
-----------------------------------------------------

4:35am

Snow has begun falling in Bowling Green during the last hour or so.
Evansville IN has 3". Not too many storm reports coming in yet, but estimates of over 3" in western KY as of 3:00am est.
Not snowing in Lexington as of 4:00 am, but should be by now as I write this.

Check out the following page from the NWS Louisville....
http://www.weather.gov/lmk/dss

--------------------------------------------------------
 
4:50am

Winter Storm Watch now in effect for much of Louisville CWA for the Thursday night - Saturday system.

-----------------------------------------------

5:15am

Last measurement for now at my house...1.8" with light snow
I'm going to bed for a little bit....

-------------------------------------

8:15am

Last push of moderate to heavy snow for me...closing in on 3".
Bowling Green has been getting pummeled for parts of the last hour and a half...like to know how much they have seen....

9:15am

Still waiting for snow to stop, falling lightly now...my total stands at 3.3".
Reports from Bowling Green have not been as impressive as I thought I was going to hear, anywhere between 1 and 3" as snow looks to be tapering there.
Saw 3.3" out of Evansville IN but only 1.2" from west Paducah.

12:30pm

Final issuance for this Nowcast session.
No major accumulations I have seen so far. I'm sure some renegade amount will be posted by the end of the day. I received 3.5" at my house in Valley Station. I have read of numerous reports of 3-4" in Louisville. So, a little higher than my forecast of 2-3". Otherwise, my prediction for up to 5", which seemed conservative compared to other media outlets of up to 6", may have been too high. A lot of 4" amounts though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...