Monday, January 18, 2016

MikJournal Monday 01/18/16

Welcome to a busy week of weather. Time for everyone to be watching their local news outlets, blogs, social media, googling forecast models and hanging by every run of each of those models, and watching The Weather Channel...did I just say that? Well yes. Did you know they will actually carry out nearly continuous coverage of significant weather happenings just like the old days when their slogan used to be 'Weather You Can Always Turn To'?

Speaking of The Weather Channel, somehow I missed this one, but Kim Perez in 2009 gets a surprise when talking about the forecast "'Ring'ing in the New Year"...check out the video.



Ok, enough of that mushy stuff. Let's talk about winter.

Our first region-wide snow event is on track to give a decent snow accumulation for us by midweek. When I say decent, I mean at least 2.0", something that a cheap, kitchen floor broom would struggle with when sweeping snow off your porch or walkway.

Plus, the usual traffic headaches and the dilemma to shut down schools, and the conundrum for some, 'Should I go to work and risk my life when they don't pay me enough anyway?' mentality.

Yet, there is another weather system to follow the midweek one. Right now, it's a toss up. At some time, milder weather will be slowly infiltrating the region. How this second storm system will develop may depend to a large extent on how much snow is around from the previous one.

I am looking for a mixed bag of slop, the usual snow and sleet, with rain also, falling on ground that still has snow. More rain south, but perhaps mostly snow and sleet the farther north toward the Ohio River.

I'll be posting soon for my forecast based on the NAM at 24-36 hours out. Probably Tuesday morning after a consideration of all model runs leading up to and including the 12z run of the NAM. I will assign the typical 70-80% confidence of the model run and the typical 20-30% 'Does this make sense to me?' by making sure dry air will not eat away at our future accumulation, for example.

Looks like an active week. If you love snow, I hope you get it.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...