Thursday, January 21, 2016

NOWCAST II For Possibly Crippling Snow

Well, don't I sound like a doomsday prophet? I typically try and control my emotions when it comes to a significant weather happening. However, this storm looks to rank among the likes of last March here in Kentucky. In addition, it could potentially become a powerful blizzard, similar to the Blizzard of 1996 for the Eastern seaboard.

Shutdown snowfall looks to be a strong possibility for many along the East coast, and the potential for major power outages across parts of Virginia and the Carolinas from a serious ice storm.

This weather system is so formidable that for the first time I have seen, a live press conference was carried out on one of my local media outlets with representatives from the Public Works department for road crews, the NWS , and Jefferson County Public Schools convening to discuss the impending storm.

After 4:00a.m., I will be posting any significant changes to possible amounts from NWS and local media as well as my thoughts here below....

----------------------------

5:25am
Louisville forecast is now solidly 6-8" for most. Slightly lower in far north part of the county and perhaps 8+" out where I live in SW Jefferson
Snow reported near Sonora along I-65.
------------------

9:20am
Welcome to the MikJournal Doughnut Hole capital of Louisville. Finally, the radar surrendered a few flakes at 9:05.
--------------

9:25am
I did notice that NWS Louisville lowered Louisville's overall totals by about an inch...3-7"
I am still expecting at least 7" at my location in Valley Station.
---------------

9:50am
4" now reported in West Paducah, Madisonville, and Cadiz
4" also in Paint Lick and Campbellsville
4.5" near Bowling Green
----------------

11:30am
A lull in the activity here at the house...just measured 1.3". I was projecting 3" at the house by noon. With heavier snow still pretty far south of my area, I'll be a bit shy of the 7" total I was expecting at the house.
---------------

12:15pm
Some area snowfall reports as of noon
8" - Hobson (Taylor County)
7-8" - Bowling Green
6" - Liberty
6" - Berea
5" - Lancaster (Lincoln County)
---------------------

12:55pm
Closing in on 2" in Valley Station...on track for 5-6" here unless we get in on overachieving bands.
--------------------

1:05pm
Latest HRRR has Louisville in a 3-6" total
----------

2:10pm
Heavier bands increasing along Ohio River, beginning to show signs of a deformation...this could become our most productive accumulation over the next couple of hours. Could see 2 more inches at least.
-----------

2:15pm
Snowfall amount at my house stood at 2.0" but a deformation band of increasingly heavier amounts may end up doubling this total in the next few hours.
------------

2:30pm
Additional snow amounts for some of us to covet...
Lebanon...12"
Bonnieville...11"
Greensburg...9"
---------

7:10pm
Snow is winding down here at my house...yes, somewhat disappointing but I did record more snow this time than with system #1, which had 3.5"
My total so far and we probably won't get much more is....3.8"
----------------

9:10pm
Final update....
Power outages have become a problem for some residents due to the storm system
My total was 4.0"










No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...