Monday, January 11, 2016

MikJournal Call for Snowfall

My first official call as I was not impressed by the last system's overall areal coverage, although the amounts were a little more than what I was expecting. Some locations saw over 3". But, that was isolated. Generally 1-2" was pretty common, unless you lived where I do, where I only got 0.5" in Valley Station.

I am using the NAM model for this forecast. But, I understand that this type of northern system often associated with clippers can contain rather robust, overachieving snow bands. The problem is trying to figure out where these convective bands will set up. The models just cannot do that.

Therefore, I will try to broadbrush the amounts but specify where the greatest chances should exist for the highest totals.

I would think WWA's (Winter Weather Advisories) will be issued for areas of Southern Indiana into central and eastern KY. I would not rule out areas to my west like near Owensboro too. Some may be disappointed but others are guaranteed to be surprised.

Let's get to it....

A dusting to 4".

Ok, I know, quite a spread. Go ahead. Laugh it up.

I expect the snow to affect Tell City IN, Owensboro KY to the west and then into central and eastern KY to my south and east.

But, the best chances for higher totals I think exist along the Ohio River from Madison IN, Carrollton KY and then into the Bluegrass near Georgetown KY. Amounts here could realize 1-3", with locally 4" amounts possible.

Tell City IN and Owensboro KY up to 1"
Louisville Metro 1-2"
Frankfort 1-3"
Lexington 1-3"
Bowling Green 0.5 - 1.2"
Several locations east of I-75 between 1-3", locally higher amounts in the higher terrain.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...