Friday, January 6, 2012

Model Wars GFS vs GEM Expected Snow Accumulations for Next 10 days

I'm experimenting with a map I'm not used to incorporating in any of my posts. Looks like a useful feature, though.

Beginning with the 0z runs of the GEM and GFS for January 5, I've extended out to la-la land around January 15 (yes, I know, not too realistic but they gave me the map). This is a look at the expected snow accumulations in water equivalent mode. That is, if we use a 10:1 ratio for 0.2" water equivalent, that would give us 2" snow.





















The above map shows the GEM and its expectations over the next 10 days. Using a 12:1 ratio, that puts Louisville at about an inch of snow. Sounds pretty paltry.

The next map is even more depressing for snow lovers like myself, if you want to believe what the models say this far out...GFS





















That only puts out about a half inch of snow for Louisville over the next 10 days.

This is just the first of several maps I'll be posting today of the models. I will also incorporate some of my thoughts about the ECMWF as well.

Later.
MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...