Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Rollercoaster

Want thrills? Want chills? How about ups and downs? Twists and turns? Well, have we got a ride for you. Check out the latest rollercoaster: the weather.

What a crazy set of events. A tornado was confirmed in Louisville, yes in the month of January. I'll have to check the records to see how many January tornadoes have occurred in Louisville since records have been kept.

In addition to the 4 confirmed tornadoes that hit last June, that makes at least 5 tornadoes that have hit the Louisville area within the past 7 months. An ominous statistic that includes no preliminary storm watches to alert the public to the possibility of severe storms capable of producing tornadoes.

January 17 was supposed to mark the 18th anniversary of Louisville's greatest snow storm with one day total of 15.9". Instead, rare January tornadoes stole the 'thunder', pun intended of course.

Across the river in Floyd, Clark, and Jefferson counties in Indiana, confirmed tornadoes occurred in each of those counties as well, including some injuries.

On my way home from work this morning, I even saw a few flurries flying when just 24 hours earlier, temperatures were at or near 60 degrees.

After a brief cold snap, temperatures are expected to surge again, with springlike rains likely over the next several days. One thing missing continues to be the pattern needed to produce our first significant winter storm of the season.

That's the only thing I don't like about this ride. If you're gonna have a rollercoaster in winter, one should include the snow to go with it.

****By the way, here in SW Jefferson county, I was able to perform my storm spotting duties. In my estimation, no severe weather occurred in the area that I covered. However, on my way home and on my street was a fairly large limb that broke out of the fork of a tree. The dead limb shattered in several chunks across the roadway. I was able to clear the debris with the assistance of my neighbor. Other than that, I did not notice any significant damage or any significant power outages in my location.****

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...