Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Intermediate Post For Heavy Snow Threat

I'll be posting about data from the models a bit later. I wanted to touch base on what I'm looking for today.

Besides the ice threat, which hopefully will not reach critical levels, I wanted to share my thoughts about the heavy snow threat.

I'm looking for the Low to pass just northeast of Cookeville TN near Jamestown to just east of Corbin KY. That is my ground zero points. If the forecast for the low deviates from these points, I know to adjust my snowfall amounts and shift the heaviest snows in the general direction of the deviation.

I do expect sleet and freezing rain to impact some areas, which will cut down on totals. It is the areas just north of the following locations where the most significant snows will occur.

As it stands, here are the areas I'm most concerned with regarding heavy snow potential. Again, this is based on a track of the ground zero points above.

The Harrison/Washington county lines in Indiana - Salem - you're included
Jefferson county Indiana - just north of and including Madison
Boone and Kenton counties KY - just north and including Covington/Cincinnati metro

These are the southernmost extents of the heavy snow threat at this time. Areas just north of those locations mentioned could see almost all snow from this system. Interestingly, a shift of just 25 miles south would bring the heaviest snow into Louisville, based on the track I've set up. Something to think about.

I'll see what the latest runs are showing in a bit.

MS




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...