Monday, June 9, 2014

Weather Tidbits

Did you know that Colorado has had more preliminary tornado reports than Oklahoma this year? Even California has had more reports than Oklahoma.

I have a quaint garden (19 ft x 11 ft) with many types of peppers along with a few tomato plants and zucchini plants and two new additions, the sweet potato and spaghetti squash.

I collect rainwater, beginning April 1 or about one month before planting my garden. And I can tell you this year is much drier, at least at my house, than last year.

In 2013, about this time last year, I had already exceeded capacity of stored rainwater. In fact, I was emptying the excess onto the ground. I would have had enough rainwater to last through the months of July and August, even if it did not rain at all during those months.

However, today, I'm only at 36.5% capacity. Although I'm somewhat concerned, the forecast for this week is showing a widespread potential for at least 1" of rain. Honestly, I could use about 2" to help replenish my storage. My storage capacity needs to be at least 66.7% to give me reasonable assurance that the garden can make it through the punishing heat and dryness of July and August.

Finally, here's a good one. While it's true that a hurricane's name is not related to its severity or intensity, more deaths are associated with feminine names than the masculine names. It is thought that one's cultural perception may be the blame.

A feminine name sounds less threatening; therefore, the hurricane must be less threatening as well. Beware of the Atlantic hurricane names such as Dolly, Fay, and Hanna, according to the article I read below. A hurricane is a hurricane.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140602155853.htm

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...