Thursday, January 2, 2014

I Knew It!


I woke up this morning at 8:30 wondering if the grass had a nice, white coating and found a clear coat instead. 

I knew there was something familiar with this weather event. I knew it. That's why I did not make a big deal about any forecast snow totals.

As soon as I read an earlier Area Forecast Discussion by the NWS Louisville yesterday, mentioning the dreaded phrase 'warm air surges northward ahead of the surface low', I knew there was going to be problems with the forecast.

Of course, the context of their discussion was about how southern KY would remain in the warmer part of this system. But, Louisville seems to have a channel just for warmer air to get sucked into the area.

For example, light rain was falling at the airport just as predicted. I felt the colder air moving in by shortly after 1:00am. When I arrived at home, the temperature was dropping. It was 35 degrees at 3:00am and still light rain was falling. However, when I awoke, the temperature actually rose to 36, and of course, light rain was falling. 

As I write this post, the temperature is still holding steady at 36. But, colder air is lurking just to my west and north. I've read temperature drops of 6 degrees within a short period of time.

Radar returns do not look that impressive to me. As the colder air filters in, how much available energy will be there for that nice coating?

Congrats to Cincinnati. As of 7:30, they had already received 3 inches.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...