Monday, May 20, 2013

Global Hazards Report No Longer Available from National Climatic Data Center

One of the most useful components from the NCDC is now no longer available. The Global Hazards monthly page provided a nice synopsis of extreme weather happening across the globe. Drought, fires, floods, hurricanes, cold, heat, sea ice extent, etc... have all been reported on this page throughout the years. I've used the information not less than a few times on my blog.

The NCDC says it will reevaluate its decision by September. The contribution and impact of the Global Hazards page has been quite useful to me as I'm sure is the case with other weather watchers. It expands my horizons allowing us to look at things outside of the {U.S.} box. I gain a better understanding of how global weather patterns have affected other countries besides our own. How have other countries dealt with natural disasters and what effect do these events have on my pocketbook when I go to the supermarket? For those interested in global warming, these reports help us to understand better how extreme weather could be here to stay. Possibly, it may move us to keep considering how best to do our part in not contributing any extra to the overall warming of the planet.

Hopefully, this is not about money too. So many programs have to be budgeted. It's a shame to eliminate the good programs. In September, I along with others look forward to seeing the Global Hazards page reinstated.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...