Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cold Front on the Move 01/30/13

A cold front has pushed through. However, temperatures are still in the 50's statewide. A large shield of rain and wind continues advancing eastward across eastern KY.

Now, as I look at the most recent hourly observations and radar data, the main cold air is still positioned just to our west in east central Illinois, just passing Mt Vernon. A thin line of moderately heavy showers are accompanying the front.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this line advance into the region with another round of precipitation. Regardless, the colder air is going to arrive, with or without the showers.

Summary of severe storm event. A rotating storm cell affecting Grayson County (Leitchfield) moved quickly northeast into Breckinridge, Meade, and Jefferson counties. A Tornado Warning was promptly issued for the possibility of a rain-wrapped tornado.

As far as I know, at least from my vantage point in Valley Station (near Prairie Village for you familiar with the area), I could not determine any rotation in the clouds. However, due to the 'swirly' nature of the winds, it was possible something could have been aloft. But, the rain was affecting any visibilities that seemed favorable for a nighttime viewing.

The main line of strongest gusts (45-50 mph) were what I call straight-line winds from the west and south. A few instances of winds coming from the north and west could have been related to the cold front pushing in at the same time thus producing the possible 'swirly' nature of the winds.

Damage to dead-wood limbs occurred at my residence. However, no impressive tree damage, at least in my neighborhood, and no power outages.

South of my location, about 4 or 5 miles, Auburndale trailer park' s residents lost power, possible due to trees blocking the roadway and affecting power lines along Pendleton road. I have also heard of tree damage in PRP, which I will look at in just a little bit. That's only a few miles away from my location.

MS




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...