Friday, October 14, 2011

Working On the Winter Forecast 2011/2012 FINAL SEGMENT

Atmospheric patterns associated with El Nino and La Nina
Remember these maps above, especially the lower one. Then, I want you to compare all of the winter forecasts made so far with this lower map.

These are typical weather patterns during an El Nino/La Nina winter. But, when was the last time you recall that our weather has been typical? During the past year or so, the United States has endured some extreme weather. Destructive tornadoes, crippling snowstorms, roaring flash floods, extreme drought and heat, just to name a few, have all occurred in one calendar year. I do believe that La Nina conditions will continue to contribute to extreme weather, perhaps here in the United States again.

However, weather does not only happen here in the United States. As I always stress, weather is global. There's not some mysterious jet stream that only exists across the United States, but weather patterns exist all across the globe. How these patterns develop, change, and dissipate can have far-reaching effects.

I want to share a global map of a typical La Nina and its affects.

Cold Conditions
Just take note of the first map that corresponds to a La Nina winter episode.

Sorry about the map size, interfering with my other blog information on the right side. However, I felt this was an important map to demonstrate.

Looking at data for weather after October 15 2011 suggests to me that our upcoming winter may take on a shape similar to that of winter 2000/2001. A possible significant difference may be that La Nina II may be stronger than the previous one, according to recent reports.

As I will feature in my OFFICIAL Winter Weather Forecast 2011/2012, extreme weather looks to be likely across the globe. Some parts of the United States will see all-time records related to temperatures, snowfall, or rainfall during the upcoming winter of December, January, February, or for the 3-month period.

Which parts of the United States stand the best chance for such records?

Well, I have more data to digest before issuing my official thoughts. I will be considering preliminary data from other parts of the globe at the beginning of November. Then I should be ready for my official forecast.

Look for the MikJournal's Official Winter Weather Forecast 2011/2012 by the end of the first week of November 2011.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...