Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Upcoming Science Calculation...Great Circle Formula w/ Lat and Long. for Excel

Well, I'm working on my next little project...trying to uncover the formulas buried deep within my StormChase database. There's absolutely no way I would be able to present the entire program on my blog.
I just want to share how easy it is to use the Great Circle formula to help determine distance 'as the crow flies' from one location to another.

As I've said in a prior post, I use this as a storm-intercept application combining roadway maps and lat/long coordinates. Therefore, if a storm appears to take a different path than I expected or if there is a sudden transfer of energy along a squall line to a different location, then the coordinates of other nearby locations are already calculated so that I can use my roadway map to get me there in a timeframe that I can work with.

More coming soon...

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...