Monday, October 19, 2015

MikJournal Monday 10/19/15

First, let me say that despite the cold, look out toward the eastern sky a little after 6:00 a.m., a beautiful view of Venus (the bright one) and Jupiter sharing the same part of the sky. Actually, Mars is right there also. I took my binoculars and was able to locate the unmistakable red dot just to the left and slightly down from Jupiter.

I love cold, crisp, calm, and starry mornings. Yesterday's 30 degrees at my house along with a current temperature at 6:00 this morning of 33 is almost ideal when it comes to mid-Fall, at least for the morning. Of course, winter's ideal cold is when the temperature is between 25 and 28, very light wind, and snow falling. It just seems warmer to me when snow is falling, perhaps because the dew point is closer to the air temperature.

Anyway, October and November are really excellent times to take in the night sky. If you like meteor showers, look for the Orionids peaking during the early morning hours and just before dawn this Thursday October 22. The Leonids in November are a pretty good show too, around the 17th or 18th of that month.

I provided a link of what to expect for this year's late night shows here.

A fairly tranquil week ahead with wonderful fall temperatures. I'm planning on a few hiking excursions to take in some of the fall foliage. I must say that this is my favorite time of the year.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...