Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Overachiever?

At my location in Valley Station, only 0.6" accumulated here. However, timing could not have been worse. This was a low-end storm but high-impact event.

Yesterday, the NAM model reestablished itself after a mini-'vacation' during the last storm. It showed a stripe of heavier snow across southern IN possible.

Reports of 2-3" across southern IN and northern KY did exceed forecast totals. Also, the forecast based on this for Louisville was to be in the range of 0.2 - 0.8". Not too bad in terms of amounts.

As far as eastern and southeastern KY, amounts have verified for many. Latest reports I have seen so far is 1.5" in Pikeville and Prestonsburg as expected. However, within the last hour, a Winter Storm Warning was posted for Pikeville with accumulations forecast in a 3-5" range. Short-range models did show that Pikeville and Prestonsburg would be the 'winners' of this snow event.

To make a long story short, now, I would consider this storm to be a minor overachiever.

By the way, my snow depth is now at 3". I'll be updating my seasonal snow/sleet totals later. But, my total stands at 3.8" as of 8:30am.

MS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...