Sunday, January 30, 2011

Remembering the Ice Storm 2009 - SPECIAL EDITION

After finishing my job at the airport, I checked my cell for any messages from my wife. Well, she had called just a few minutes earlier. Upon returning her call, when she answered, there was no 'hello dear', just a calm monotone voice with the words, "Get the hell home. There is stuff falling all around the house and we're scared."
My drive home was not too bad as the main roads I used were just wet. But, the street lights were casting a brilliant reflection of ice on trees and other objects. As I drove into the subdivision, I noticed quite a bit of downed limbs. When I pulled into our driveway, I discovered several limbs littering the front and especially the back yard. Stepping out of the car, there was an eerie silence that was often interrupted by creaking, cracking, popping, and crashing. "Hope that wasn't someone's home," I thought aloud. "I think the worst is yet to come."

Good Sunday to all and welcome to a special edition of the MikJournal. Since talk has been ongoing about a historical and potentially devastating winter storm affecting the region early this upcoming week, I thought it appropriate to reflect on the Ice Storm of 2009.

The above experience highlights my personal ordeal, especially dealing with the aftermath of 5 days without power. I recall sleeping in the basement where the temperature was a balmy 49 degrees (my wife and 12-month old little girl were staying at my parent's house). You know, that was the best sleep I ever had. I didn't want to sleep upstairs because the temperature had already plummeted to 38 degrees. I had to keep the water trickling to avoid pipes freezing.

What were you doing? What were you thinking? Any survivor stories? I'd like to hear about them.

In the meantime...
If you have time, try this site:
http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/data_rescue_daily_weather_maps.html
You may have to download the djvu browser plug-in from the home page.
Now, you can navigate the site to find the weather maps for those eventful days of Jan 26-28, 2009.
In addition, you may be able to compare those maps with what the current thinking is for this upcoming storm.

Here is a nice review of the overall Ice Storm 2009 event from the National Weather Service with many pictures included.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/?n=jan_2009_ice_and_snow

I would like to hear your experiences. Just comment on them below. I hope to make a weather CD of the historical event and include some of your experiences.

Hear from you soon, In the meantime, have a great day!
MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...