Friday, March 22, 2013

Analog Time: Accumulating Snow for Some

An early February-type system will be approaching our region later this weekend and promises to bring snow to parts of the region.

I've had some success looking at analogs for possible storm scenarios. One that caught my attention this time is from February 6, 2010.

I like the moisture placement for the most part. Granted, these analogs do not mean the exact weather that happened then will happen again in these places.

However, it does show the storm's potential and most likely locations to be impacted.

Remember, this is not a forecast. This is just a look back in time at a weather system that has similar features to the one that will be impacting the region later this weekend.

The February 6, 2010 event put down less than 1" here in Louisville. However, just to the north at Indy and Cincinnati, they had amounts around 6". There were some isolated heavier amounts exceeding 8" around the Cincinnati area.

I'll be looking at the NAM as my trusted source within 36 hours of the main event. Meanwhile, I thought I'd share that little bit of snow history with you looking at analogs.

Some places primarily north of Louisville could be looking at the potential for 4-8". Not bad at all by mid-January standards if you ask me. And this is March???

MS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...